Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Author Book Signing



Tonight was a very special night.  Mrs. Branch and I attended a book signing.  Have you heard about or read the book The Watsons Go to Birmingham?  Well tonight I had the privilege of meeting the author of the book, Christopher Paul Curtis.  He has written several other books you may have read or heard about.  He wrote Elijah of Buxton, Bud, Not Buddy, and The Mighty Miss Malone.  Three of his books have received the Newberry Award.  His book, The Watsons Go to Birmingham, has just been turned into a Hallmark Channel Original Movie.  Mr. Curtis signed a copy of one of his books for me.  I can't wait to show my brother.  He is going to be so jealous.

Mr. Curtis was really nice.  He asked me what grade I was in and what school I attended.  He also gave me writing pointers.  He said to develop my own style of writing and to always keep writing.  Good advice from a famous author.
  
In honor of the 50th anniversary of the bombing at the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church that is located right here in Birmingham, Mr. Curtis is in town for a special screening of the movie at the Alabama Theater.  Unfortunately Mrs. Branch and I will have to catch the movie on TV since we won't be able to make it to the screening.

No comments:

Post a Comment